This past week, The Danbury Connecticut Police sponsored a five (5) day Homicide and Death Investigations Course at police headquarters. Ten (10) police departments from all over Connecticut came to listen and learn from experts in the field of homicide and death investigations. Investigators at this course received sixteen (16) Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) credits for attending the course.
Experts in forensic pathology, cold cases, forensics, crime scene and death investigation all taught lessons over the five days.
The course of study revolved around investigator “mindsets,” such as:
- Do it right the first time – you don’t get a second chance
- Every death should be treated as suspicious until experts prove otherwise
- Medical Legal Investigator
- Medical Examiner
- The case is going to trial – document, document, and document
- Collect print and DNA exemplars from everyone with legitimate access
Topics in the course ranged from the crime scene to courtroom and everything in between. Connecticut’s new Eyewitness Identification procedure was covered as well as Pediatric Fatalities, Cold Cases, Forensic Science, DNA, The Post Mortem Interval, Making Death Notifications and Building Prosecutable cases.
If your agency is interested in sponsoring a Homicide and Death Investigations Course, please feel free to contact me at 516-557-9591 or via Email: Joe@JoeGiacalone.net